I didn’t review the first Barbados PR Association meeting as yet. I had been meaning to. Richard, your comment was much appreciated, asking for the review or interesting take aways from the meeting. Its good to know that people are looking out for my posts. Let me take this time to urge all my readers and subscribers to leave your comments and requests. Make sure I keep on my toes!
The Review ….
There were about 30 persons in attendance. I was a bit late, but it seemed to me most persons were on time and anxious for the meeting to get started. That’s always a good sign with a new club!
Christal P McIntosh, was the one who took the initiative to get the group started, explained in her welcome address and brief remarks she had been testing the waters for the past 7 months and t was clear that there was a deep desire for a PR Association in Barbados, she got to work on making it a reality …
She’s got to get a little tap on the back for that for sure! Yeah,
Let me stop here for a second. There is a little need to digress because this is a big deal. Many times we find ourselves stepping backward instead of forward when it comes to taking initiative. Especially when it comes to non profit tasks, or positions, which is much much less work than starting a new club….
‘That sounds like a nice club, it would be good to have one. I don’t have the time though I got bills to pay.’
The one that really amuses me – “If I had the money, I would fund the entire organization and build an office complex and all the member will have access to state of the art facilities”. It feels real good. That’s all it ever really is a “feel good” dream. Nothing much ever materializes .
Christal stepped beyond that and actually founded the new organization so congrats to her. One step to developing some more of the Caribbean’s Resources. (View Crystal’s Blog).
I thought it was fitting also for the guest speaker be a lady who was in the same position 3 years ago in another Caribbean Country ‘Sweet Sweet T&T’, and now commiting to building a Regional Organization for PR Professionals in the caribbean, Julette Coward-Puglisi.
Today though, she was speaking as the President and Founder of the Trinidad Association (IABC TT). In her address she made some key points that really stuck with me. Here they are in my own words –
- The association must effectively address the challenges that its members are facing.
- Create more public awareness of the industry. PR is not just about writing a Press Releases and having good media contacts
- Have an accreditation system so that PR professionals skill level can be measured in the marketplace.
- Its not just for PR professionals, but for any other persons who are interested in being a part of it. there will be the need of different skills to make the organization function well.
- Great value in the network. Being a part of the network allows members to tap a vast intelligience. Her example – she was preparing a PR campaign for a software company, she visited the forum on the IABC’s website and asked a question, within a day, she had 6 good ideas she could run with.
- use the network’s resources. A lot of knowledge and wisdom that has been accumulated in magazines and other projects, which are accessible from the International body.
- forge alliances and lasting friendships – the organization will put you together with persons with similar passions and drives for life and you will find people to bounce ideas off of. Create new businesses with other memebers. Discuss what is taking place in your market place and spot trends.
- Blaze a Trail, like Machel Montono HD. lol. The TT association broke several rules internationally because they made sure to meet regularly when they got started, met regularly. By the time they approached the international association. They had a member base with things already in place. That caused a stir because some of the rules to be adjusted as they reached club status in just 13 mths as opposed to the 23 or more months.
I had to leave early, so I am unable to comment on rest of the meeting, which was primarily the election of the new board and business card exchange.
Check it out their social network which has all the latest updates at www.bajanPR.ning.com.
I joined a few days ago and found it quite interesting when I saw the forum post “Web Sites As A Tool” … i jumped right into it! And put int my 2 cents.
More details on that subject coming to this blog in a future post.
All in all it was a good experience. I was glad I attended.