It has come to my attention that there is going to be a new option available for those of you planning to vacation in the Caribbean this summer.
A grouping of Caribbean Tourism ministers, some of the major cruise liners along tour operators in the world have come together to offer cruises this summer which will see the packaging the summer festivals of the Caribbean into a range of cruises.
Caribbean Summer Festivals of Interest
- Vincy Mas – St. Vincent & the Grenadines
- St. Lucia Carnival – St. Lucia
- Crop Over – Barbados
- ATI – Jamaica
- Great Fete – Trinidad and Tobago
- Antigua Carnival – Antigua
- Reggae Sumfest – Jamaica
- Spice Mas – Grenada
Yes, yes I couldn’t believe it!
Can you imagine that?
Ok let me paint a picture for you….
After parading in the Streets of Kingstown for Vincy Mas with the music of Zoelah, Jamesey P, Skinny Fabulous and crew. You stumble to your ‘hotel room’ on a cruise liner and the next morning you step out into Castries with car pasing blairing the sounds of Ricky T, Kakal and Alpha. Hitting the road for J’Ouvert and Pretty Mas with the bands Just 4 Fun and Red International.
The next stop is to the Soca Bowl (Soca Monarch) on the East Coast Road in Barbados climaxing on Kadooment day with the sounds of Hypa Daug, Krosfyah and Alison Hinds. Down behind the Baje International or Power By 4 music truck…..
I think you get the picture.
Alrite, now let me make your blood boil now (esp. The Yankees DEM). This cruise will have what they call the “Premium Carnival Experience”.
No, no! this is not just getting VIP tickets to the major events. I am talking about no hassles.
- No calling 10 people to secure tickets for your crew for the fetes.
- No saving scalpers numbers in your phone. And paying a lot more money for your tickets just cause you have a foreign accent.
- No getting lost for an hour of your valueable liming/party time.
- What about your costumes? Ladies do I really, really need to get into the mis match horror stories. Many of you know about jumping and not looking your best!
The Premium Carnival Experience
All passengers on the cruise will never have to touch a single event ticket!!!! Ever!
Every passenger will be banded once they get on the bus, wait let me re-phrase that! When the fully air conditioned coach arrives at the venue each passenger will be banded and will enter the fete in a special line. No lines and no designated drivers or navigators needed! Sorry!!! For you who look forward to being awarded that responsibility.
As far as Playin’ Mas goes….Mas Bands, will be invited on board the cruise ship to deliver costumes and to ensure passengers are ‘road worthy’.
Where did this all start?
Apparently this idea came up
during talks regarding ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 held in the Caribbean….
….It came back to the basic rule all major promoters know. Its better to build up an annual event over time than run after a one time opportunistic events. The risk is just so much larger…..
So why just stop at cricket?
It didn’t turn out so good but some of the Cricket World Cup discarded partying ideas made it into the Summer Festivals and did pretty well in that forum.
This was the first indication that this idea has something to it.
Ok look lets at it
- tourism ministries and tour operators will now have a product with tremendous credibility and appeal to many more persons. No Hassles, less unknowns, no local connections needed.
- festivals will grow, with some cruise ships with a capacity of approx 3000 people, that is 3000 more people to experience the festival…
Ok let me put to you like this way. If you put together the largest mas bands in Crop Over and St. Lucia mas you cannot fill 1 cruise ship!
- Cruise ships companies can now add another package to their current offering.
- Mas Bands and Promoters would have confirmed sales from much earlier and so they can invest more into producing a quality show and costumes.
- lots of other small businesses will benefit from the increased visitors on the island.
I understand that the details of the package still need to be worked out. However, the initial market research indicates that these cruise packages are expected to attract alot students, graduates and young professionals who have very few responsibilities.(e.g. children, Mortages etc).
Marketing Campaigns will be directed to the universities in the caribbean (UWI, SGU, etc). Also those in the diaspora McGill, York, Toronto, CUNY, Miami International, Howard and a few more.
Its also expected to have a good response from the groups of Stella’s out there looking to get their groove back on! Lol. And of course a good wine or wuk-up!
My take on it is that it will be a tremendous benefit to the economies of the Caribbean esp. the ‘Carnival Nations’.
Now for those news reporters reading this, let me save you a call or email by giving you a quote now.
‘Its a paradigm shift in tourism in the caribbean. Its a very innovative and very creative product which is well positioned to grow rapidly in the coming years. It embraces the new trend of cruising and carnivals worldwide, while leveraging the close proximity of isles of the Caribbean and the similarities of the cultures along with the great diversities in the cultures. You couldn’t want it Better than that!’ Said Corey Graham 2.0
‘Also of course it is April Fools day and I just got you!’ Laughed Corey Graham 2.0
Or did I really get you?
Is this not an inevitable step?
Maybe its just a conversation we have not got into as yet as a Caribbean Community.
I have started it here on my Blog. Now my question to you is …..
Will you join me in this conversation?